The aim of this scholarship programme is to support highly qualified young scholars. The Foundation will only consider applicants who have proven their exceptional talents by means of their achievements in their studies and the results of their examinations and whose dissertations are expected to be well above the average. The duration and course of the studies, final grade, age and any special qualifications will play a significant role in the selection process.
- Only applicants who are not older than 28 years at the time of concluding their master studies may be included in the selection process.
- Example: If an applicant was aged 25 when graduating, then he or she can still apply to the Foundation for a Ph.D. scholarship when aged 35.
- This age limit shall be extended to take the following situations into account: night school, bringing up children, military or civil service, work experience and other exceptional circumstances.
- It will not be possible to include the application in the selection process should there be no special reasons for graduation after the candidate turns 28.
- For an application to be considered in the selection process the overall master grade awarded must be at least 1.5 or above in Germany (comparable with grade A in other countries). For candidates with a foreign degree, a special examination for inclusion in the selection process will be performed in the Foundation's office. The final grade achieved in legal exams also will likewise be assessed separately.
- The Foundation will not grant scholarships for the completion of Ph.D. projects. A final scholarship is a grant that succeeds another grant exceeding 12 months and bestowed by a different party and/or the application for a scholarship not exceeding 12 months.