Type and scope of the funding
The grants for research projects involve, depending on the type of project, the assumption of costs for personnel, travel, materials and/or other costs.
Project staff on research projects may only be financed by PhD or research grants. A fundamental prerequisite for a grant is that project staff conduct their own research, which is published under their name. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible.
The period of support for Foundation stipend holders working on Ph.D. or research projects can be extended by up to 12 months if the holder becomes a parent during the period covered by the stipend and has an entitlement to maternity or parental leave. Individual arrangements must be discussed with the Foundation’s administrative office.
From now on, it is only possible to apply electronically for the general research grants. The necessary application documents can be uploaded in the electronic application form.
The following documents must be included in an application for a research project (in German or English):
- description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- at least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5
- please choose a readable font, e.g. Arial 11 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt.
- time schedule, travel itinerary (if needed)
- detailed cost calculation
- specific funds being applied for must be precisely defined
- no college or tuition fees
- no overhead costs
- curriculum vitae and list of publications of the applicant(s)
- if needed, curriculum vitae and list of publications of the proposed project participant(s)
- if needed, academic certificates of the project participant(s) (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
If also a scholarship for the applicant is planned:
- one letter of recommendation
- signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation
- signed version by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax is accepted
- possibility to submit more than one letter of recommendation
- academic certificates of the applicant (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
- please take note of our criteria regarding the applications for a research scholarship: Continue
Please do not additionally send the documents by email or postal mail.