Type and scope of the funding
Applications for research scholarships can be made directly by Postdocs or scholars with Post Doctoral Lecture Qualification. A research scholarship is usually applied for by one scholar who will work on a specific project on his own. An institutional affiliation is not necessary. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible.
The funding period is generally between one and 24 months.
The period of support for Foundation stipend holders working on Ph.D. or research projects can be extended by up to 12 months if the holder becomes a parent during the period covered by the stipend and has an entitlement to maternity or parental leave. Individual arrangements must be discussed with the Foundation’s administrative office.
From now on, it is only possible to apply electronically for the general research grants. The necessary application documents can be uploaded in the electronic application form.
The following documents must be included in an application for a research scholarship (in German or English):
description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- at least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5
- please choose a readable font, e.g. Arial 11 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt.
- time schedule and working plan with information about the necessary travel to archives, libraries and museums or other destinations
- description of the journeys to archives, museums or other destinations which are closely related to the subject of the project and detailed calculation of the costs (travel and lodging)
- No flat-rate daily allowance or flat-rates for hotel expenses
- no college or tuition fees
- calculation of material costs (e.g. for photocopies or film versions of archive material, photographs, etc., not a lump sum for books)
- tabular curriculum vitae with list of publications
- copies of academic certificates (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
- one letter of recommendation
- signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation
- signed version by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax is accepted
- it is possible to submit more than one letter of recommendation
Please note that the Gerda Henkel Foundation will not contact any referees and the applicants are responsible for requesting the letters of recommendation themselves.
Please do not additionally send the documents by email or postal mail.