The following forms are to be attached to an application for financial support for a research project (German or English) and to be sent by postal mail to the Foundation:
- printout of the completed electronic form
- description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- time schedule and working plan with information about the necessary travel to archives, libraries and museums or other destinations required for the completion of the dissertation (max. 2 pages)
- detailed cost calculation (estimates if need be) of the probable travel and material costs. The Foundation does not cover any college or tuition fees.
- curriculum vitae in tabular form
- certificate(s) of the university degree qualifying for PhD studies (generally Master certificate; for direct doctorates: seminar attendance certificates; please do not send Bachelor certificates). Please send us copies, references do not have to be attested.
- two expert opinions which provide information on the applicant's qualifications and about the quality of the doctoral project. The choice of the referees is up to the applicant. The second report needs not be compiled by the person who later acts as second examiner for the Ph.D. thesis. References have to be signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation. A signed version by email (scan with signature to firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax is accepted.
Please do not send the following information:
- High School Leaving certificates
- internship certificates
- seminar grades (only required for direct PhDs)
- employment references
Please note the following information:
- Applications which are incomplete or too voluminous will not be given consideration. The same holds true for applications for which no expert opinion has been submitted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered any more after the expiration of one year.
- Proof of enrollment does not need to be produced.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your application and we would ask you not to contact us by phone on this matter.
Please note the following application requirements:
- Only applicants who are not older than 28 years at the time of concluding their master studies may be included in the selection process.
- Example: If an applicant was aged 25 when graduating, then he or she can still apply to the Foundation for a Ph.D. scholarship when aged 35.
- This age limit shall be extended to take the following situations into account: night school, bringing up children, military service, work experience and other exceptional circumstances.
- It will not be possible to include the application in the selection process should there be no special reasons for graduation after the candidate turns 28.
- For an application to be considered in the selection process the overall master grade awarded must be at least 1.5 or above in Germany (comparable with grade A in other countries). For candidates with a foreign degree, a special examination for inclusion in the selection process will be performed in the Foundation's office. The final grade achieved in legal exams also will likewise be assessed separately.
- The Foundation will not grant scholarships for the completion of Ph.D. projects. A final scholarship is a grant that succeeds another grant exceeding 12 months and bestowed by a different party and/or the application for a scholarship not exceeding 12 months.